Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday

Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)
Twittercide [twit-er-sahyd]: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.
Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the Herbert Hoover High Homepage would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper’s brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big story, things went... a little south. What should have been a normal interview with Sydney Sanders turned into me discovering the Homecoming Queen-hopeful dead in her pool. Electrocuted while Tweeting. Now, in addition to developing a reputation as HHH’s resident body finder, I’m stuck trying to prove that Sydney’s death wasn’t suicide.I’m starting to long for the days when my biggest worry was whether the cafeteria was serving pizza sticks or Tuesday Tacos...
Series: Deadly Cool #2
 Published April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen

Hartley Grace Featherstone did it again everyone. She made me laugh till my ribs hurt, made me excited till I jumped off my seat and drooled at Chase till I unwillingly stopped myself. If you haven’t read Deadly Cool yet, I STRONGLY *cracks fingers* suggest you do. Because the awesomeness of this sequel rivals the first one in any aspects possible. The elements of Social Suicide are similar to Deadly Cool namely, Hartley found the body and her life was threatened again. I guess our girl is making this a habit, hm? And this time, the oh-so-popular and addicting Twitter is involved.  I love Twitter and I do believe everyone loves it too and when this social giant is mixed with a snarky and hilarious heroine, what do we have? A very funny, thought-provoking and suspenseful book.

I would never get tired of the humor and entertainment Gemma Halliday provides with her fabulous writing. Though, I would admit I kinda get used of the style since I didn’t break a bone while laughing unlike in Deadly Cool but the magic is still there. It still managed to pull me in. I fervently hope it still would in the future. I watched Hartley grew into a more devious heroine as her detective skills were honed by the chase (and Chase, no pun intended).  And Sam? Her bestfriend? That amazing girl Hartley is super lucky to have? She just reached the top spot of my “MOST AMAZING AND DEPENDABLE BESTFRIEND” list. Sam and Kyle (her boyfriend) provide the cute romance that keeps me going. I want to meet them in person, actually XD.

And who would have thought that I was tempted to make an account in Match.com after reading about her Mom? No seriously, I visited the site and almost-ALMOST- succumb when I saw a cute guy my age. Haha. But you know what really shocked me? It was the “who” who was dating her Mom. I would bet my money on it that Hartley’s face that time was priceless.
 *But there is Geometry, right Mr. Tipkins? ; )*

The story was dashed with a little romance just enough to tell the readers that Hartley and Chase were attracted to each other and that there’s more to come. Usually, the romance is focused after the suspect is caught but I think it’s pretty understandable. So if you want purely hot, steamy love, I will not recommend this book to you. But still, you can’t miss this in your literary life. This is personified hilariousness in the form of a book.

Overall, I enjoyed this second installation and if you want a fun and light-hearted read about female detectives, Social Suicide is for you. But first, don’t you dare bypass Deadly Cool. YOU NEED TO READ THE TWO BOOKS. Like seriously. Right now. I’m being pushy but it’s worth it! I know because I just know. But please do know I’m not a know-it-all. XD

*invisible audience shouts*
“STOP FLUFFIN’ SCREWING WITH US!”

Oh, the censoring never really grows old.
The right corner of Chase’s lip curled up. “Good. I have faith you may make it as an actual reporter someday,” he said. “Now go, young grasshopper. Make me proud.”
And then he patted me on the head and walked away.
Actually patted me. Like one might pat his cocker spaniel.
I was so stupid. I was the queen of Stupidville.The Duchess of Moronland. The Empress of Misunderstandingtown.

4 comments:

Lalaine said... Best Blogger Tips

Hahahha u know i cant help but always laugh before I even begin commenting. Loved your review bunso. So very entertaining! You should put this up on goodreads! mwahh. x

Johanna said... Best Blogger Tips

@Lalaine *smirks* It's a pleasure, lady ; )

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said... Best Blogger Tips

I've had a copy of Deadly Cool for a while now, but I always just end up reading something else. But, okay, okay, if you insist... I mean, there's no need for physical violence here. :)
I love your review, I think you finally pushed me to read both books.
Followed you!

Johanna said... Best Blogger Tips

@Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thank you, Miss Maja! xD

Post a Comment

Hi there, my pretty damsel. I love to read your comments. Feel free to write one and I'm sure a knight is on his way to you *winks*


up